Understanding mental health
We have a big goal to better understand mental illness, from diagnosis to treatment to best practices system-wide.
With your partnership, The Research Fund will advance:
- Discovery: understanding mental health disorders
- Development: creating new treatments
- Delivery: implementing new treatment into the community
Leading mental health research
Children’s Colorado has some of the best and brightest pediatric mental health experts in the country who are transforming the way we diagnose and treat these disorders.
Our team of experts are already making great progress to:
- Understand the impact of maternal trauma on a mother-child relationship and the child’s mental health to guide the best treatment. Early evidence suggests mothers of infants who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder have a decreased ability to learn, making psychotherapy not as effective.
- Identify school-based interventions for low income children with Autism Spectrum Disorder or ADHD.
- Integrate mental health into all medical settings to improve overall quality of care, adherence, and outcomes for kids and teens.
- Provide telehealth services to help transplant patients cope with the stress of an upcoming procedure.
- Study the brain to understand what contributes to anxiety and eating disorders.
- Pinpoint the cause of severe irritability, psychosis, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia in youth to develop novel interventions.
The Research Fund is essential to continuing this progress as federal research support becomes harder and harder to obtain. As we bolster our reputation as a leader in pediatric mental health, we will attract more state and federal funding.